Share what tools you're using to accomplish tasks outside of the standard set defined in the Environment Setup
Best standard text editor out there!
Git client that makes it easy to use version control from a GUI
Great SSH client for Windows. Useful to gain access to StarExec from off campus
File transfer client for Windows good for copying files onto starexec head node
VPN client to connect to the campus network from home
Sometimes it is good to know how well your code performs in terms of memory and runtime. For critical parts of starexec (such as the lower layers and database interaction) it is essential that we are as efficient as possible. To monitor efficiency we can utilize a neat tool called the TPTP profiler which monitors the web server as it executes code on the fly.
- Open Eclipse and go to
Help -> Install new software...
- In the
Work With...box, type in
- A list of TPTP releases should appear in the listbox below, scroll to the latest one (
4.7.2as of this writing) and expand it
TPTP Profiling for Web Applicationshit
next, accept any licenses and keep hitting next/finish until the tool installs
- Restart Eclipse when prompted
- To profile your application while it runs, right click the server in the
serverstab and select Profile
- By default, you won't be able to see starexec classes, you need to add
org.starexec.*to the filter include list
- Review this video for help