CALL FOR ONE-ACT SCRIPTS
Silver Spring Stage is seeking original, one-act scripts for its annual One-Act Festival. The Festival will run two or three weekends in August 2020. Scripts will be fully produced by Silver Spring Stage, including (but not limited to) securing directors, holding
auditions for actors, and providing rehearsal and performance space. Authors are not required to participate in the process but may be invited to do so by producers or directors. In accordance with the requirements imposed upon us by related state, regional, and national community theatre festivals, no one will be paid for their work during the Silver Spring Stage Festival.
Silver Spring Stage will award prizes to playwrights at the conclusion of the Festival. A prize of $150 will be awarded to Best Script and a prize of $100 to Best Script Runner-Up.
There is a $10 fee for submitting, which will cover submission of up to two scripts. NOTE: Current students will be exempt
from the fee. The money collected will be used by Silver Spring Stage to produce the festival and send one of the produced plays to the Maryland Community Theatre Festival and (if selected for participation) to the Eastern States Theatre Association Festival and AACTFest in 2021. (Participation in ESTA and AACTFest is determined by the outcome of previous festival.)
To submit, authors need to fill out Online Submission Form.
Fill out the Submission Form. You will be asked for your contact information including email address, phone number, and city.
- Scripts must be original and unpublished, but may have been previously performed.
- Playwrights may submit no more than two scripts.
- Plays that have been submitted to Silver Spring Stage for consideration in prior years, but not chosen to be performed, may be resubmitted.
- All scripts must be submitted in standard professional play format.
- All scripts must be submitted in Word or PDF format. NOTE: Hard copies will not be accepted and will not be returned.
- Scripts must be submitted blind - all mentions of the author’s name, contact information, and history of the script must be removed. Any scripts that do not meet this requirement will not be considered.
- There is no minimum length, but plays may not exceed 45 pages. Plays with a runtime less than 10 minutes or longer than 30 minutes are unlikely to be chosen.
All submissions must be received by January 31, 2020.
Plays will be selected based on artistic merit, technical and casting requirements, adherence to submission rules, length, and originality.
NOTE: August 18, 2020 is the anniversary of the 19th Amendment or women’s suffrage. In the spirit of this anniversary, scripts about women and other marginalized populations voting will be given special consideration. Selected playwrights will be notified no later than April 30, 2020.
Silver Spring Stage is an all-volunteer, non-profit community theater located in Silver Spring, Maryland. We offer the best of what you like about theater – top quality productions of plays that are smart and challenging, in an intimate space and at affordable prices. Find out more about the Stage at www.ssstage.org.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Silver Spring Stage is located in Silver Spring, Maryland.
Event Address: 10145 Colesville Road, Silver Spring, MD 20901
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 3086 Silver Spring Stage, MD
Email address: email@example.com