Blended Learning Module Design
188:195:SCA Arts Leadership Seminar
Instructor: David McGraw
Introduction [Monday April 14, 2011]
David will provide a short introduction to the goals and expectations for the blended learning week.
Readings [Monday April 14, 2011]
- “Why Arts Research is Hard (and Why We Should Do It Anyway),” Ian David Moss, Fractured Atlas Blog, January 20, 2011.
- “On Stories vs. Data,” Ian David Moss, Fractured Atlas Blog, March 28, 2011.
- “Gifts of the Muse: Reframing the Debate about the Benefits of the Arts,” McCarthy, Ondaatje, Zakaras, and Brooks, RAND: Research in the Arts, 2004.
Lecture [Tuesday April 19, 2011]
FDC will encode, upload and distribute David’s recorded lecture via ICON.
JotForm Survey Creation [Thursday April 21, 2011 – 5pm]
Use the online survey tool, JotForm, (http://www.jotform.com) to create two surveys. The surveys are based on your previous Arts in Education project:
- 1 survey is to be completed by the Student Participant (e.g., 2nd grader in one-week music appreciation course). If student is too young to read, survey is designed for parent to assist student.
- 1 Survey is to be completed by the Observer (classroom teacher or similar personnel)
FDC will collect and create:
- Directions for using Jotform
- Requirement: all surveys must include a text field for survey taker names and feedback
- The Jotform video for beginners: http://vimeo.com/13669519
- Supplement this video with by producing more specific screencasts on how to use Jotform for the assignment
- Directions for producing and sharing surveys
- Save your survey
- Click Preview
- Copy “Form URL”
- Paste “Form URL” into Word document
- Directions for producing and sharing survey Reports (survey data)
- Go to My Forms (tab on top of JotForm.com)
- Select the survey
- Click on "Reports"
- In the dropdown, click "Add New Report"
- In pop-up window, click Visual Report Builder
- On the next screen, if you have statistical data you should see a graph
- You'll need to add a Grid Listing so you can see all the data
- Click "Edit Report" in the upper-right
- In the "Widgets" pop, click and drag the "Grid Listing" under your graph
- Close the "Widgets"
- Now, Click Share Report
- Copy the URL under "Share by URL"
- Paste URL into Word document with the URL to your surveys
- Upload Word doc into ICON dropbox
- Surveys will be collected from the ICON Dropbox and posted in ICON Content Thursday evening, 6pm
- This document will Includes assignment for taking surveys (Survey Feedback)
- For example: Student A will take surveys from Student B, Student C, Student D, and Student E
Survey Feedback [Sunday April 23, 2011 – 11:59pm]
Fill out assigned surveys. Do both Student Participant and Observer surveys. You'll see 8 survey links.
- See the survey list posted in ICON (Thursday, 6pm) to get to access to four classmate surveys.
- Include feedback about the survey
- What do you think did the survey did well? How do you think it could improve?
Reflection [Tuesday April 26, 2011 – 3:30pm]
Write a short essay (1-2 paragraphs) on how to improve your survey.
- Summarize your Arts in Education project (learning objectives?)
- List classmates that commented on your survey
- Usefulness of raw data collected
- What would you change about the survey, based on the feedback you received?
- Upload Reflection document to ICON Dropbox
Review [Tuesday April 26, 2011]
Discussion on the process of creating the survey using JotForm
- David will choose one or two especially insightful reflections for discussion
- FDC will conduct a brief evaluation of blended learning week
- Ask for permission to take photo and record audio of feedback
JotForm Survey Creation
Online, peer & individual