DPA:3520 New Ventures in the Arts
Offered each Spring Semester
Corequisites: ENTR:1350 or graduate student
An analysis of arts administration principles and trends as applied to the creation of an arts-based enterprise. Students will examine case studies and create a business plan for a new arts organization or project. Course topics include
- Examination of nonprofit and commercial structures
- Business models and strategic growth plans
- Building and maintaining organizational teams
- Arts incubation systems for new projects
- Event management
- Legal requirements for new ventures
- Resources & cash flow for producing and presenting organizations
- Co-productions, collaborations, and organizational mergers
- Contract negotiation and hiring practices
- Identifying and targeting potential audiences
For more information, please contact the instructor, David McGraw.
New Ventures in the Arts is a component of the Performing Arts Entrepreneurship Certificate, the Arts Management Emphasis in the Business Studies Track, and the Entrepreneurial Management Certificate at the University of Iowa.