Summer Partnership in the Arts 2019: Age of Loneliness
The Summer Partnership dates are May 20 thru June 14
Auditions will be held on Friday, March 1
Hiring 12-14 students @ $300 a week
Naturalist and philosopher E.O. Wilson has proposed that we are now living in the Eremocine – the Age of Loneliness – due to the mass extinctions devastating life on this planet (i.e., the sixth extinction). We’ve wiped out sixty percent of all animal population since 1970, and where once we were only one of many mammal species, the world’s mammal population has plummeted -- 96% of the biomass of the world’s mammals is now humans and livestock, and the remaining 4% wild animals – rendering us increasingly alone.
This ecological loneliness could symbolize a crisis and condition of loneliness in multiple forms. We experience loneliness tied to institutionalized and persistent racism, sexism, trans- and homophobia, capitalism, our technology, our media, and more. And in the midst of this crisis and condition of loneliness, we struggle for connection, and for meaning.
This play will investigate this Age of Loneliness from multiple perspectives – what different forms does loneliness take and what are the different forces behind it; how does it impact our experience and how we engage one another; and what does it say about who we are and who we can be? In the midst of this crisis of loneliness, what are the opportunities for true connection and belonging?
Jade King Carroll
Intimate Apparel and The Piano Lesson (McCarter); The Piano Lesson (Hartford Stage); Having Our Say (Long Wharf Theatre/Hartford Stage); Sunset Baby and The Revolutionists (City Theatre); Skeleton Crew (Marin Theatre Company/Theaterworks and Dorset Theatre); Autumn’s Harvest (Lincoln Center Institute); Trouble in Mind (Two River Theater and Playmakers Rep); Hello, From The Children of Planet Earth (Playwrights Realm); Mr. Chickee’s Funny Money (Atlantic Theater); The Whipping Man and Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom (Portland Stage); The Etymology of Bird (CitiParks Summer Stages); A Raisin in the Sun (Juilliard and Perseverance). Associate Director for A Streetcar Named Desire and The Gin Game (Broadway); The Children’s Monologues (Carnegie Hall). Jade received the Paul Green Award from the estate of August Wilson. Past Fellowships & Awards: New York Theatre Workshop, Van Lier, Second Stage Theatre, Women’s Project, McCarter Theatre Center, SUNY 40 under 40, TCG New Generations Future Leader, and Gates Millennium Scholar.
Sam Chanse is the author of Trigger, The Opportunities of Extinction, Fruiting Bodies, The Other Instinct, What You Are Now, Lydia’s Funeral Video, about that whole dying thing, and Asian American Jesus. Her work has been developed with the Lark, Ma-Yi Theater, Cherry Lane, Leviathan Lab, Ars Nova, Broken Nose, and Ensemble Studio Theater/Sloan Project, and is published by Kaya Press (Lydia’s Funeral Video) and TCG (The Kilroys List). Upcoming productions include Fruiting Bodies, directed by Shelley Butler, at Ma-Yi Theater (April/May 2019).
She is a Lark Venturous Fellow, a resident playwright of New Dramatists, and a member of the Ma-Yi Writers Lab.
A former MacDowell Fellow, Cherry Lane Mentor Project Fellow, Rita Goldberg Playwrights’ Workshop Fellow at The Lark, Sundance/Ucross Playwright Fellow, and Playwrights Realm Writing Fellow, she has also received residencies from Djerassi, Tofte Lake Center, Merrimack Repertory Theatre, and SPACE at Ryder Farm. Commissions include Ensemble Studio Theatre/Sloan, Ma-Yi/the Flea, Second Generation, Leviathan, and the San Francisco Arts Commission. She is an alumna of Ars Nova’s Play Group, the Civilians R&D Group, and the Lark’s New York Stage & Film Vassar Retreat.
She served for some years as artistic director of Kearny Street Workshop, and has led writing and theater workshops at various institutions and organizations, including Columbia University, NYU, KSW, and the Performing Arts Workshop.